Title of the project
Zot van pAtrijs
The project ‘Zot van pAtrijs’ works, in coorporation with partners from the hunting sector, Agricultural sector and nature conservation sector, for partridges and other farmland fauna.
The project entails different actions to increase hunters and farmers knowledge and support for fauna friendly management. A lot of attention went to a fauna-friendly use of greening measures.
Via communication we tried to increase people awareness on agrobiodiversity and its management.
Most important project actions:
– establishment of a Partridge group together with wildlife management units, representatives of farmers and regional landscapes
– working for partridges and farmland biodiversity by habitat measures, winter feeding and predator control in wildlife management units (2017: > 40 ha wild bird seed mixes, 5000 shrubs planted, management of > 7 km of hedges, cooporation with farmers on set-aside farmland edges, fauna-friendly mowing, …)
– development of some plans: habitat advice for hunting terrain in Ranst, plan with the community of Rumst about habitat measures beside farmland roads, …
– sesibilisation of farmers to fill in greening measures on a fauna-friendly way. Development of a tool for farmers to evaluate greening options economically ( and promo film about sowing farmland set-aside edges. Publications in farmer magazines.
– sensibilisation about fauna-friendly mowing and a cooporation between hunters and farmers on this theme (promo film and folders stimulating farmers to use fauna-friendly mowing schemes and to announce mowing date to hunting groups which can drive out fauna of the parcels before mowing.
– development and demonstration of a scientifically sound technique for counting Partridge spring populations together with INBO, the research institute of the Flemmish government on nature and forest topics.
– development of info panels to raise awareness about the measures done by hunters and farmers to improve farmland biodiversity
Hunters of the 7 wildlife management units managed above and/or HVV were involved in all project actions described above.
More detailed information and project results (Dutch): https://hvv.be/info/projecten/zot-van-patrijs/
|Site||7 wildlife management units: WBE Antwerpen Zuid-Rupelstreek, WBE Antwerpse Polders Noord, WBE De Benden-Marck, WBE Groot-Lille, WBE Groot-Ranst, WBE Noorderkempen and WBE Tulderheide|
Protection status of the areas
|Species Caracteristics||Huntable species, Protected species, Threatened species, Abundant species|
|Species Type||Birds, Mammals (other than large carnivores), Generalist predators|
|Name(s) of main species||"Partridge (Perdix Perdix) - target species Other Farmland fauna (Farmland birds, hares, ...) Predators (crow, magpie, fox)"|
|Leading partners||"Hubertus Vereniging Vlaanderen (Flemmish Hunting Assiociation) - project page link: https://hvv.be/info/projecten/zot-van-patrijs/ "|
|Other partners||"Official partners: Hooibeekhoeve (Research insitute about farming topics) - copromotor Regionaal Landschap de Voorkempen (Environmental NGO) - copromotor Regionaal Landschap Kleine en Grote Nete (Environmental NGO) - copromotor Boerenbond (Farmers Union) - partner Algemeen Boerensyndicaat (Farmers Union) - partner Regionaal Landschap Rivierenland (Environmental NGO) - partner Working on the terrain and in the Partridge group with different wildlife management units (groups of hunters): WBE Antwerpen Zuid-Rupelstreek WBE Antwerpse Polders Noord WBE De Beneden-Marck WBE Groot-Lille WBE Groot-Ranst WBE Noorderkempen WBE Tulderheide "|