Title of the project
Research Program: «Phenology of bird migration in Greece»
The Program mainly aims to determine the following:
i) phenology of migration of avian Game species
ii) phenology of migration of avian waterfowl non- Game species
iii) the size of the wintering population of Game species in the study areas, and
iv) the breeding population of waterfowl Game species in the study areas.
It is a research program realized in 3 axis:
1) The study of Waterfowl bird species: Surveys of waterfowl species are conducted each year from July to April, once every ten-day period, 3 times per month, simultaneously in 22 major wetlands in Greece, by 38 specialized observers. Sixteen (16) Game and eleven (11) Non-Game migratory species, in Greece, are surveyed. In addition, weather conditions and information about the habitat are recorded in order to be used when processing the results.
2) The study of Eurasian woodcock: Woodcock surveys (Scolopax rusticola) are conducted each year from October to November and from January to March, once every ten days, 3 times per month, simultaneously in 26 different places all over the country, covering all types of biotopes. In addition, weather conditions and information about the biotope are recorded in order to be used when processing the results.
3) The study of Thrushes : The nocturnal migration of Turdus species (Turdus merula, Turdus philomelos, Turdus iliacus) is recorded during a 4 hour period (23:00 to 03:00) every night from January to March in 5 bioacoustical stations (located in the main flyways of Thrushes).
The waterfowl birds species which are studied in the research program are presented in a table available in the survey.
26 qualified hunters with the aid of pointing hunting dogs in 26 different regions were involved into observations for the phenology of migration of Eurasian woodcock
Protection status of the areas
|Species Caracteristics||Huntable species, Migratory species, Abundant species|
|Name(s) of main species||16 Game and 11 Non-Game migratory species
Eurasian woodcock - Scolopax rusticola
Common blackbird - Turdus merula
Song thrush - Turdus philomelos
Redwing - Turdus iliacus
|Leading partners||The Hellenic Hunters Confederation (Κυνηγετική Συνομοσπονδία Ελλάδας).
The website (http://www.ksellas.gr) will soon be available in 3 languages (Greek, French, English).
|Other partners||• Oiseaux Migrateurs du Paléarctique Occidental (OMPO)
• Institut Méditerranéen du Patrimoine Cynégétique et Faunistique (IMPCF)
• Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTH)
Estimation of the budget (total or annual)
Estimation of Human Resources needed
The human resources for the Phenology of migration of Eurasian woodcock are 26 hunters (qualified) with the aid of pointing hunting dogs in 26 different regions and 38 specialized observers for waterfowl birds
2. PROJECT: «Conservation status of avian species in areas where hunting is permitted and in areas where hunting is prohibited» (PowerPoint presentation) The Hunting Activity in the Management and Protection of Amvrakikos, Meeting, Arta. 27th of July 2012
3. PROJECT: «Results of Phenology of bird migration in Greece, concerning Mesologgi Lagoon» (Scientific report), Athens. 2012
4. PROJECT: «Results of Phenology of bird migration in Greece, concerning Kotychi Lagoon» (Scientific report), Athens. 2012
5. PROJECT: «Results of Phenology of bird migration in Greece, concerning Amrakikos» (Scientific report), Athens. 2012